expediteyourpassport.com is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Lost or Stolen Passport

You will need to submit a lost or stolen US passport form immediately to alert the Department of State if your travel credentials go missing. It is critical to report a passport as lost or stolen because someone else can use your passport to commit identity theft. The State Department will automatically cancel any passport that is reported stolen or missing. Canceled passports cannot be used for travel, and a thief attempting to use a passport reported as lost or stolen will be detained.

Reporting a lost or stolen passport is required. However, it is not necessary to replace a lost passport or one that has been stolen if you do not need your travel credentials. On the other hand, if you intend to travel again soon or if you lost your US passport while traveling internationally, then obtain a replacement passport as soon as possible. The sections below detail what to do if your passport is missing or stolen and how to obtain a new one.

How to Report a Lost or Stolen Passport

If you have lost your US passport or believe it was stolen, then it is imperative to report your missing passport to the Department of State. The Department of State will cancel your passport upon receiving notice that is it missing. After you have canceled your passport, you have the option to replace it or not.

If your passport has been stolen, then you should file a police report with your local precinct. This is because the police can help protect you or develop a file should identity fraud occur. However, reporting a stolen US passport to the police is not required to report it to the State Department. You do not need to submit a police report to report your missing passport.

To report a passport lost or stolen, submit Form DS-64, the Statement Regarding A Lost or Stolen US Passport Book And/Or Card. Read all the warnings and statements on the form before filling out the application. Print out DS-64 and fill it out completely using black ink.

Identify whether you want to replace a stolen passport or a missing passport in the first blue section. In section one, list your identifying information. Write your complete last name, first name and middle name. If your lost US passport was issued under a different name, then list the name it was issued under. Mark your legal sex, list your birthday in MM-DD-YYYY format, list your place of birth and print your Social Security Number. List your current address, a reliable telephone number, an alternate telephone number and an email address you use regularly.

In section two, mark whether you intend to replace a lost or stolen passport along with your report. If you only want to report your passport as missing, then check ‘no.’ If you are seeking to replace your passport at the same time, then select ‘yes.’ Explain in the space provided how and when you lost your US passport, and note whether or not you filed a police report for a stolen U.S. passport. If you have lost a US passport before, list how many times, when the previous loss occurred and whether you filed a police report for previous incidents.

You can submit lost or stolen US passport form online to the State Department. You can also mail Form DS-64 to the address listed on the form. If you mail the form, then include a photocopy of a government-issued photo ID with the package. Finally, you can bypass filling out Form DS-64 entirely and instead report the missing credentials by phone. However, you cannot apply for a new passport over the phone. Additionally, if you eventually choose to replace a missing passport, then you will still be required to submit the lost or stolen US passport form with your application.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

If you want to replace a lost passport at the same time as you report it missing, then submit your documents in person. After filling out the lost or stolen US passport form, fill out Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. passport. You will also have to supply all the necessary identification documents. Gather the following documents to replace your passport:

When you have all the necessary documents to replace your lost or stolen US passport, visit any passport acceptance facility that accepts walk-ins. Alternatively, you can schedule an appointment online, which will guarantee that you will be seen in a timely manner. Passport application appointments take approximately 15 minutes to complete. After submitting your application, you will receive a replacement passport in four to six weeks.

If you need your replacement passport sooner, then you can request expedited service. For an additional fee, the State Department will send your replacement passport in two to three weeks. If you need it sooner, a third-party passport provider can expedite your application and deliver you a new passport in one business day.