expediteyourpassport.com is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Where Can I Apply for a Passport?

It’s a question most US citizens have to ask themselves every few years: Where do you apply for a passport? Though the answer depends on your specific circumstances and whether or not you already have a passport or not, the overall process of applying for a passport is fairly simple.

Renew by Mail

Individuals asking where to apply for a passport renewal can do so through the US Postal service, provided their most recent passport fits under the following guidelines:

If you do not fit all these requirements, you will have to apply for your passport renewal in person. However, if you do meet the requirements, you may submit your passport renewal application through the mail.

To apply for a passport renewal by mail:

  1. Fill out a passport renewal application (Form DS-82).
  2. Submit your completed passport renewal application along with your most recent US passport book and/or card.
  3. Submit a certified copy of your name change document, if applicable.
  4. Pay your passport renewal application fee by personal check or money order as follows (Note: the $25 execution fee for first time applicants does not apply to passport renewals)
    • Adult Passport Book: $110
    • Adult Passport Card: $30
    • Adult Passport Book+Card: $140
    • Minor Passport Book: $80
    • Minor Passport Card: $15
    • Minor Passport Book+Card: $95
  5. Provide one passport photo that meets the following requirements
    • Color photo
    • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
    • 2X2 inches
    • Sized so that your head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches in size from chin to the top of your head

In addition, all Passport Photos page must be taken:

  1. Mail in your USPS passport renewal form to:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

For more details, visit the Passport Photos page and the Renew Passport page.

You are advised to mail your DS-82 renewal form in a large envelope to fit all the passport renewal documents inside, and you will receive your new passport in 4-6 weeks. You can even apply for a passport renewal if your current passport has not yet expired.

Passport applicants will receive their old passport in the mail along with their new one, though they may arrive separately.

In addition, if you have ever had a passport book and are eligible for passport renewal by mail, you can apply for a passport card along with the renewal of your passport book, even if you’ve never had a passport card before.

Authorized Passport Acceptance Facilities

There are many authorized passport acceptance facilities across the country. Visit the Passport Locations page to find one nearest you.

Once you have found an authorized passport acceptance facility, you may visit the location in person to submit your completed passport application form. Authorized passport acceptance facilities are located at a wide range of government businesses, from post offices to libraries to municipal offices. Some facilities require appointments for passport services. Make sure to contact your local passport acceptance facility first before walking in.

Department of State Passport Agency

Knowing where are US passports issued is the first step when you need to get a passport in person. The US Department of State (DoS) is responsible for issuing passports across the country. Those who cannot apply for a passport by mail or through an authorized passport acceptance facility and would like to know where to apply for a passport may visit one of the DoS Passport Agencies to apply. Visit our Passport Office Locations for a list of Passport Agencies arranged by city.

Passport applications submitted through DoS Passport Agencies are subject to an automatic expedited fee of $60. You also must arrange an appointment with your local passport agency before visiting. To schedule an appointment, call 1-877-487-2778. Rush services are available for life-or-death emergencies requiring immediate travel. Also, a proof of travel within two to four weeks is required by most DoS Passport Agencies before they will issue you a passport directly.

Where Do You Get a Passport if you are Applying Outside of the US?

Applying for a passport outside of the US is a different process than applying for one in the country, though the forms and requirements are largely the same. The differences are in the submission procedures themselves, which vary depending on which US embassy and consulate you are applying from.

Generally, when applying for a passport outside of the United States, you must fill out the same passport application form and submit it to the local US embassy along with all the other necessary supporting documentation.

The same fees apply for international passport applications as do domestic passport applications. Fees must be paid in US dollars though. Expedited processing is not available for international passport applications.