expediteyourpassport.com is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Passport Replacement Checklist

Before submitting aU.S. replacement passport application, you must make sure that you report your lost or stolen passport. Losing a passport can be stressful, especially if you have upcoming travel plans. However, it can also be risky considering that anyone can use your passport fraudulently. The process of reporting your stolen or lost passport is fairly simple. Once you get it out of the way, you can gather the necessary documentation needed to obtain replacement documents. Read the sections below to make sure that you take care of your passport situation with the proper steps and appropriate documentation.

Report Your Stolen or Lost Passport

Before completing a replacement passport application, you must protect yourself against identity theft as soon as possible. Reporting your passport will void it, preventing anyone from illegally using your passport to travel. You may report your passport as lost or stolen online, by mail or phone. Regardless of which method you choose, you will have to submit a completed Form DS-64 to report the passport. If you are cancelling the passport by phone, you will need to submit the form when you complete the replacement process. The Form DS-64 will ask you to:

If you plan to report the passport and obtain a new one at the same time, you must submit this form along with the standard application for a passport book or card in person at a qualifying U.S. passport office. This includes any U.S. passport agency, designated acceptance facility, U.S. consulate abroad or U.S. embassy. If you are reporting the passport without obtaining a replacement, you can submit the Form DS-64 by mail along with a photocopy of your ID card. To report the stolen or lost passport by phone, you must call the Department of State and follow the automated instructions. Furthermore, you may complete the process online through the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs’ website.

Replacing Your Lost or Stolen Passport

To apply for a replacement passport, you will need to complete Form DS-11 in person at the appropriate passport office, depending on your eligibility. If you are currently in the states and are traveling within the next three weeks or less, you must make a passport appointment to complete the process at a passport agency or center. You can make an appointment with a passport acceptance facility if you do not have to replace your lost passport within three weeks, although the location may not require an appointment. If you are outside of the U.S., you must obtain a replacement passport at your nearest U.S. consulate or embassy. Furthermore, you may replace your passport if it has been significantly damaged or has missing pages.

Complete Form DS-11

While Form DS-11 is the standard passport application, it can be used to obtain a U.S. replacement passport as well. The passport application is fairly simple, requiring that you provide identifying information about yourself, such as:

Once this form is completed, you will need to gather supporting documents needed for passport replacement.

Necessary Documentation

When submitting your replacement passport application to the appropriate passport office, you will need to provide certain identifying documentation. Keep in mind that some of these documents will require that you submit a photocopy as well.

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

When applying for a U.S. replacement passport, you must submit proof of citizenship along with a photocopy of the document’s front and back. These documents include a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad or certificate of abroad. Your birth certificate must be certified, include your full name, sex, date of birth, birthplace and full names of your parent(s). If you do not have a valid birth certificate or if the certificate was filed a year after your birth, you may be able to submit a combination of the following list, as long as the combined documents demonstrate proof of your full name, date and place of birth and has a seal or certification of the office. If there is not a record of your birth, or if you did not get a birth certificate until a year or more after your date of birth, the documents needed for your passport replacement include:

You can also provide a notarized affidavit of other blood relatives having knowledge of your birth, but this must be submitted with one of the forms listed above. If you do not have a birth record, you must also provide a registrar’s notice that states this information.

Proof of Identity

In addition to providing proof of U.S. citizenship, you will also need to provide proof of identity to obtain a U.S. replacement passport. You may provide a driver’s license, military ID card or a federal, state or municipal government employee ID card. A temporary license or learner’s permit will not meet qualifications. Furthermore, the photocopy of your proof of identity must appear legibly on 8 ½ inch by 11 inch paper and in black and white ink. If the passport office believes that the evidence is damaged, forged or altered in any way, your document will be returned back to you.

Passport Photo

In addition to the documents mentioned above, you will need to submit a color photo of yourself along with your replacement passport application. Passport photoscan be taken at a variety of places including CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens or a local passport office. You must make sure that your passport photo:

Make sure that you meet all of the passport photo requirements, including dressing in simple attire, with no hat, head covering or glasses. The only exception to this rule is if you provide a signed statement verifying that your hat or head covering is a part of your religious traditional attire. You may also provide a signed medical statement from your doctor explaining why you cannot remove your eyewear.

Replacement Passport Cost

The replacement passport cost varies depending on whether you are ordering a U.S. passport book, card or both. The prices will also vary depending on your age, asanyone younger than 16 years of age pays a different cost. Keep in mind that you will also have to pay an execution fee to obtain your U.S.replacement passport. You may be able to make a payment with a check, credit card, prepaid credit card, money order or cash, depending on whether you are applying at a qualifying passport office or by mail. If you would to speed up the passport processing time, you will need to pay for expedited service. You may expedite your passport’s application processing to as little as one business day if you choose to obtain official documentation through a third-party service.