expediteyourpassport.com is privately owned and is neither operated by, nor affiliated with, any government agency.

Proof of Identity for Passport

When applying for your United States passport, you must present documentation to confirm your identity and legal status in the country. The US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs accepts a number of documentation for proof of identity and are explained in more detail below.

Primary Identification

In order to complete your passport application process, submit a form of primary identification. You must make a photocopy of this document, including its front and back, on a single sheet of standard paper stock. Acceptable proof of identity includes any of the following:

In the event that you are unable to show primary identification for your new passport, secondary identification is also acceptable. The more secondary documentation you present the better. For example, a Social Security Card, your credit card and an employee ID is considered a sufficient. For that reason, take time to gather a combination of certain identifying documents to submit as evidence.

Out-of-State Primary Identification

If the only type of primary identification you have is from outside the state, then you must also present another form of ID. To provide a well-rounded combination of documents, the second document must identify information such as your full name, your date of birth, the date it was issued and a picture.

ID Photocopy Requirements

When presenting your identification document as part of your passport requirements, you need to make a photocopy of it as well. Make sure to check off the following list of requirements prior to submitting your passport application:

More specifications can be found here on the Passport Photo page.

Proof of Gender Reassignment

Individuals who are in the process of undergoing gender reassignment must present acceptable proof of identity that meets the following requirement: Both ID and passport photo must display your current appearance. Additionally, you also need to have a physician certificate that confirms your gender transitioning.

Should you have completed your gender reassignment, you can request a full, 10-year passport if your physician provides a statement certifying your transition. The signed document must include the following:

If you are currently in the process of transitioning, you may request to receive a two-year passport instead. The statement from your physician must mention the below information: